I confess, lately I've been eating like a trucker and I'm starting to feel the effects.
The truth is exercise will only get you so far. Even though I am more active than your average trucker I still need to focus on fueling my body with the best gas I can get. But there's just something about winter time and comfort food that I find seriously difficult to stick to a healthy diet.
Last weekend we went on a burger binge. Somehow I ended up eating three cheese burgers – the best by the way was Holy Chuck. OMG so good! But that's it! I'm now officially 7 lbs off my fighting weight range and it's time to stop the food party and get back to business!
Here's what I do that helps me get back on track:
:: One 50$ Trip to No Frills and I'm set for the next five days ::
Tomatoes – for slow roasting
Giant pack of Chicken
1. Prepare food: When I have healthy food to grab and go I'm so much more likely to eat that then snack on a cookie or two. Make delicious healthy recipes on a Sunday or any night you have off and then you're good to go for a week. Fail to plan and you plan to fail.
2. Food in the middle of the fridge is more attractive than food anywhere else! This is crazy but it's true. Stock the middle of your fridge with your healthiest foods and you will be more likely to grab those than food on the doors or other layers!
3. Don't have it in the house: Clean out your food stores and throw away any temptations – there's enough of that already in the real world! This goes for wine too – if it's there, I'll drink a glass and really that adds up overtime and doesn't make me feel the best at our 6 am workouts.
4. Cut yourself some slack: Typically I give myself one day off a week to eat whatever I want – bagels, ice cream, cookies, cheese, etc. This keeps me sane and once I started doing this I realized how much better food tastes when you take some time off of it.
5. Dinner for breakfast: The hardest meal to change by far is breakfast but if one bagel = five pieces of toast + calories of the toppings it's just not productive to start your day like that. Instead I opt for eggs or even a more lunch-like salad style breakfast.
6. Water water water! I am totally guilty of confusing hunger with thirst. I try to drink 4 L of water everyday. I use my soda stream to keep water exciting and now I actually find I like water instead of coffee first thing in the morning because it wakes me up more! Crazy!!